Have I mentioned I love Halloween? I probably have a million times. I love making candy packaging, and baking in theme. The quickest way to theme up any craft or recipe is to color it up to the holiday. One of my morning coffee favorites is an orange mocha. I decided to add a citrus twist to the Original Nestle® Toll House® Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe for this halloween cookie treat.
Halloween Orange Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (sea salt, preferred)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp orange extract
1 large egg
1 tsp orange juice
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels
1/2 cup orange-colorer chocolate chips (sprinkles)
1 tsp orange zest, optional
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix butter and sugars just until combined. Beat in egg. Do not overmix.
- Slowly beat in dry ingredients into the wet ingredient mix.
- Add in chocolate chips. Make sure to set some aside to top off cookies later on.
- Freeze batter for about 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F in the meantime.
- With a spoon or mini ice cream scooper, drop balls of batter onto baking sheets. Top off batter with carefully placed chocolate chips.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Check out some of my other halloween-themed tutorials!